Mushroom Tacos (And Walnuts). Yes Please!
There are so many varieties of the popular taco, but these Mushroom Tacos with walnuts, are super delicious, easy to make, and also very inexpensive. In this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE Sheri Johnson shows us how to make this simple meal filled with nutrients and flavor.
She Sure Can Cook A Tasty Mushroom Taco, But What Else?
Sherri is an entrepreneur, certified personal trainer and Pilates teacher, wife, and mother to two creative talented young men. Starting her career in the fashion and beauty industry, she has an eye for what works! For the last 15 years, she’s worked with hundreds of clients, supporting them in transforming their lives. “Fitness is apart of me. It is my passion to inspire women to see their inner and physical strengths. It’s very rewarding.” During her fitness journey, Sherri created the company W29 Activewear brand for women and men 5 years ago, bringing high-quality athletic wear to the market to inspire and motivate people to move their bodies. Living a plant-based lifestyle for the past 4.5 years started her on another phase in her life. She loves veganizing her favorite recipes and learning a different way of preparing her childhood favorites into plant-based meals. “Being able to cause no harm to a living creature has been so liberating and rewarding.”
Let’s Get Crackin’ In The Kitchen!
I don’t know about you, but I am ready for some Tacos, and it’s not even Tuesday! Tacos are not just for Taco Tuesdays, they are too delicious for only one day a week! ha ha. I look forward to making these easy and delicious Muchroom Tacos for myself. Seems like a pretty simple recipe, my favorite kind. I am providing the recipe below so you can give it a try too, and I sure hope you will!
Mushroom Tacos with Walnuts
- 1 cup unsalted walnuts soaked in lukewarm water for 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup water divided
- 10 ounces baby Bella mushrooms washed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce if not gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke optional but recommended
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh lime juice as desired
- For the tacos:
- Corn tortillas
- Avocado tahini dressing use cilantro
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced red onions
- Diced avocado
- Soak walnuts in lukewarm water for 20 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside
- In a medium nonstick pan over medium heat, add the onions and garlic along with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring often until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant about 3-4 minutes. Add 2-3 more tablespoons of water as needed to prevent burning. You can also use oil instead if you would like.
- Add the walnuts and mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until they have broken down into a “meat crumble”-like texture. Add them to the pan along with the cumin, chili powder, tomato paste, soy sauce, oregano, liquid smoke, and 1/4 cup of water. Mix everything together until well combined. Cook the mixture for 8 minutes, or until it beings to brown and the mushrooms soften. If you would like it moister, add a few additional tablespoons of water as desired.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper as desired. Mix through the cilantro plus lime juice to taste.
- Assemble your tacos as desired and enjoy!
Easy Avocado Tahini Dressing
- 1 large avocado about 3/4 cup
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups Veggie Broth*
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh*(see notes)
- 1 teaspoon dried chives or 1 tablespoon fresh*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend on high for 15-30 seconds or until smooth. If dressing is too thick, add more water as needed to achieve desired consistency. Enjoy!
For Mushroom Tacos And More!
Join #LunchBreakLIVE every day at 12:30 pm PDT for more fun and creative vegan recipes that you will love to try at home! Also, check out previous shows for all kinds of tasty recipes that you can experiment with for some unique and simple meals. Until next time…
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.