Vegan Lentil Caramel Brownies That Are Heavenly!
Have you considered making brownies out of lentils? Well, these lentil caramel brownies are sure to make you curious enough to give them a try! Let’s get cooking with The Decadent Health Nut Vanessa Marsot of Ellora Wellness.
Healthy Caramel Brownies…Say What?
The best part about this recipe is the zero guilt, using only date sugar as a sweetener, which according to Dr. Greger, is a whole plant food that’s low glycemic due to all the fiber. It’s the only sweetener he uses! With lentils, oats, dates, cacao powder, and flaxseed, you’ve got a huge serving of protein, vitamins and minerals, and omega 3s. Watch Dr. Gegors video on date sugar HERE.
Vanessa is a regular on #LunchBreakLIVE and we love having her. She always cooks healthy vegan meals for us using whole food plant-based ingredients. But her food never lacks in taste, and is always full of flavor and spice! She also cooks global recipes from all over the world, using easy inexpensive ingredients that are generally readily available to everyone.
Will You Try These?
Below is the recipe for these delicious brownies, and I urge you to give them a try. I mean, they have zero guilt, so why not? They certainly look delicious, so I am going to definitely try them.
Vegan Lentil Caramel Brownies
- 2 cups cooked red lentils
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2/3 cup date syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao and carob powders
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips and carob chips
- Caramel Ingredients:
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup date sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make the caramel by adding coconut milk and sugar to a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Let mixture simmer while stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool (It will thicken as it cools).
- In a food processor or coffee grinder, process the oats until they are somewhat broken down.
- Add the remaining brownie ingredients besides the chocolate chips and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan. Then add a layer of the caramel and add 1/2 a cup of the dark chocolate chips on top. Then pour the other half of the brownie mixture on top and gently spread around evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let chill in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
- Serve. Store leftovers (there won't be any ;)) tightly covered in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
Time To Eat Caramel Brownies…So Goodbye!
Thank you for stopping by and joining us for this delicious episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. Be sure to check out many of the other recipes we have available to you. There are a ton to choose from, different courses, and global recipes to satisfy any cravings you might have. Until next time…
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl