Day 6 of PCRM’s 21 Day Vegan Kickstart
It’s day 6 of the 21 day vegan kickstart and our Chef of the day is Elysabteh Alfano. She made two delicious vegan recipes for us. Facon Bacon made with tempeh and Sweet Potato Hash. Both recipes are super healthy, packing in protein and fiber to help keep you feeling happy and full. Let’s see how she made these tasty recipes…
Let’s Meet Our Chef
Elysabeth Alfano is a Plant-based Business Consultant, Host of the Plant-based Business Hour & Media Expert. As a business consultant, Elysabeth helps small and large plant-based brands navigate the growing consumer demand for plant-based products with marketing, media, and overall business strategy. As an FFL Instructor, Elysabeth teaches plant-based health, nutrition, and cooking for Corporate Wellness Programs and with West Los Angeles College using recipes created by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine designed to reduce the risk factors for many chronic diseases. Find out more about Elysabeth on her website.
Let’s Dive Back Into The Food. 21 Day vegan kickstart: Recipe 1
Who doesn’t love a good couple of slices of bacon? Vegan of course. Bacon is an all American favorite, but now you can have vegan bacon that tastes better than any animal bacon, has zero cruelty, and is far better for you. Elysabeth shows us how to make this delicious “Facon Bacon” out of tempeh. Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian soy product that is made from fermented soybeans. It is super high in protein, and relatively low in fat. So it is a great healthy alternative to standard bacon and brings you a ton of nutrients without all that fat and grease. The recipe for this tasty Facon Bacon is below, so give it a try.
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 ½ tsp soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces tempeh sliced into bacon shapes
- Toast fennel and cumin in a dry skillet over medium heat.
- Grind the spices and return to the skillet.
- Add soy sauce, garlic, black pepper, and water. Set skillet to simmer.
- Add the sliced tempeh and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then place the tempeh on a nonstick or oiled cookie sheet and broil until crisp (about 7 to 8 minutes), then turn and broil again.
- The marinade will keep for one week refrigerated.
21 Day Vegan Kickstart: Recipe 2
Have you ever had Sweet Potato Hash? It’s like hash browns, kinda, only way better for you. Combine this Sweet Potato Hash with your Facon Bacon, and you’ve got quite the delicious breakfast. Without any guilt! Sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamin A, fiber, and potassium, so they are defiantly a nutrient-packed food. Add in all the other veggies mixed in this recipe and BAM… it’s a picture of health. This is a breakfast recipe you don’t want to miss. It is posted below so you can make it for yourself at home. And I sure hope you do. Be sure to let us know how you liked it.
Sweet Potato Hash
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Simmer for about 15 to 17 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic, onion, and bell peppers for about 4 minutes.
- Add paprika, salt, and black pepper and continue to cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add the sweet potatoes and cook to heat through.
Thank You For Joining Us For Day 6 Of The 21 Day Vegan Kickstart
I hope you enjoyed these two very easy vegan recipes that are part of the 21 day vegan kickstart with PCRM. I hope you consider signing up and join in on the fun. It is a great way to kickstart your health in 2021. And if you are looking for other tasty plant-based recipes to cook up, check out the #LunchBreakLIVE page for a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.