An Air-Fried Pakora Recipe For Everyone To Enjoy
We have some serious yum factor for you today! Vegan, Gluten-free, Air Fried Pakora with our featured Chef, TikTok sensation Alisha V. She makes for us a traditional Indian snack that is usually a bit unhealthy because it is deep-fried. Today she makes a yummy healthy version that is just as delicious as the traditional kind. Let’s take a closer look.
Chef And Social Media Sensation
Alisha V is a vegan content creator with a passion for simple, accessible, and delicious plant-based cooking. She founded her blog, The Lish Life, in 2017 and continues to use her platform to inspire compassion for animals, humans, and the environment through her love of food. In 2020, Alisha published her first cookbook, Air-Fried & Plant-Based, featuring 12 vegan air fryer recipes.
You Can Make Pakora Without All The Oil And Deep Frying!
Pakora is a fried snack originally from India. You can find it across South Asia especially in India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. It is traditionally a deep-fried fritter. Flour is used for coating the veggies and then they are generally deep-fried in oil. Alisha makes a vegan healthier version for us on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. She uses an air-fryer that requires far less oil but provides the same crispy delicious outcome.
- 1 large zucchini approx. 1 3/4 cups, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium onion approx. 3/4 cups, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup split mung beans
- 1/2 cup split pigeon peas
- 2 tbsp wholegrain oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
- neutral oil spray
- Add the zucchini and onion to a large mixing bowl. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, and salt to taste. Toss to coat the vegetables in the spices and salt. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the mung beans and pigeon peas to a food processor and process into a fine lentil flour. Transfer the lentil flour to a separate bowl.
- Add the whole grain oats to the food processor and process into a fine oat flour. Transfer to the bowl containing lentil flour.
- To the same bowl, add baking soda. Combine to form a uniform dry mixture.
- To the dry mixture, add 1 tbsp neutral oil and water (in 1 tbsp increments) until you achieve a consistency that is thicker than pancake batter but thinner than cookie dough.*
- Transfer the batter to the mixing bowl containing zucchini and onion. Mix until all the vegetables are coated.
- Select the air fry function on your air fryer and preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once heated spray the entire base of the air fryer basket with oil.
- Use a small ladle to transfer ~2tbsp scoops of the battered zucchini and onion to the air fryer. Spray the tops of the vegetables with more oil and air fry for 8 - 10 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve with ketchup or your favorite chutney!
When I was preparing this batter, I used approximately 1/2 cup water to reach the desired level of thickness.--
Thank You For Joining Us!
This was a great episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. I love learning how to make different vegan foods from around the globe. And this Pakora recipe is so simple to make and such a delicious snack option. If you are interested in other easy vegan recipes to try, be sure to jump on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.