Join in the CHEESINESS of today’s LunchBreakLIVE with Tracy Childs! Tracy is a Food For Life Nutrition and Cooking Instructor with Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine/Director of Veg-Appeal and Co-Leader of PlantDiego. She’s in San Diego showing you how to make your own “Kraft Macaroni and Cheese” mix – but VEGAN, gluten-free, and just as cheesy! It’s the cheesiest! Today LIVE on JaneUnchainedNews. You can find Tracy at Veg-Appeal.com. The vegan cheese world is exploding!
Want to make some cheesy goodness at home right out of your pantry?? Never fear Tracy had you covered here on LunchbreakLIVE! First, Tracy throws her favorite gluten-free Banza pasta, which is surprisingly made from chickpeas, in a pot of boiling water! Next, Tracy shows us how to make our own homemade cheese sauce. It’s similar to a bechamel sauce but veganized and the base is oat flour. Tracy shows us that if you have plain oatmeal you can have oat flower easily by grinding the oats in a blender. Tracy adds all of the dry ingredients together and tosses them into the food processor. Then, she mixes them in a pot with soy milk and a little apple cider vinegar to make the cheese! Tracy explains people can make other cheeses at home using plants and a probiotic liquid called Rejuvalac. We learn something new every day on LunchbreakLIVE! Once the cheese is done, Tracy takes a few frozen peas and adds them to the cheese with the cooked pasta. Voila! The mac and cheese is ready to be eaten and her husband Steven is ready to eat it! Try making your own cheesy mac and cheese at home with a quick trip to the pantry and Tracy’s recipe below!
Check out Miyoko’s Creamery and CA Provisions to buy gourmet cheeses!
Tracy Childs reporting for Jane Unchained News Network.
Photos courtesy of Tracy Childs.
Video work by Steven Childs.
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Mix – Pantry Staple
Adapted from Miyoko Schinner.
Makes about 2.5 cups of mix . Here is a healthy vegan alternative to the kind of mac and cheese mix that comes in a box (like Kraft). It makes enough to coat the equivalent of 6-8 or more store-bought boxes instant macaroni and cheese.
- 1 cup cashews 1/2 cup hemp seeds can sub for ½ cup cashews
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika regular/smoked or a mix of both
- 1 tablespoon dry sweetener of choice sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and process into a powder. It could take a few minutes of processing to get a uniform powder. The color should brighten into a vibrant yellow as you process.
- Store in a jar or place into 1/3-1/2 cup portions in small containers. . Store in the pantry for a month or two or in the refrigerator for up to 6 months or freeze for longer!
To prepare your Mac and Cheese!
- 1 cup macaroni or pasta of choice
- 1/3-1/2 cup Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Mix
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (soy, almond)
- 1-3 teaspoons white, rice, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (to add some tang!)
Mac and Cheese cooking instructions
- a. Cook your pasta to package directions & drain
- b. Heat 1/3 cup of the mix with 1 cup non-dairy milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Lumps should diminish as the sauce thickens.
- c. Stir in the cooked pasta.
- d. Heat and serve!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
What's Your Reaction?