Käsespätzle Is A Traditional German Dish That Has Been Veganized
Have you ever tasted “Käsespätzle” (German for “Cheese Spätzle”)? Spätzle are noodle dumplings! Michael Prikryl, is LIVE from Olomouc, in the Czech Republic, showing us how to veganize this delicious German dish. It’s pretty simple to make and oh so delicious to eat, so let’s check it out…
A Dedicated Animal Rights Activist and so Much More
Michael Prikryl is an international and multi-lingual animal rights activist and motivational speaker. He was born in the Czech Republic, raised in Germany, and studied & lived in the United States and Canada. His main areas of study were journalism, communication, and writing. He has traveled extensively through Europe and North America and has been to over 35 US states. He has been vegan since 2016. He is a co-organizer for Anonymous for the Voiceless (Olomouc, Czech Republic chapter) and contributor for Jane Unchained News.
Michael is also a pianist, singer, and songwriter and wrote and published the “Vegan Song” in 2018, and the vegan and climate justice song “Save the World” in 2020. You can listen to both songs at vegansong.org.
Käsespätzle And All It’s Vegan Cheesy Goodness
This Käsespätzle looks so delicious and full of cheesy and doughy goodness. I have never had this dish before veganized or not, so I am quite curious about it. It is always fun to try new international dishes, which we have often on #LunchBreakLIVE with all our guest chefs from all over the world. It’s just so much fun! Let’s take a look at how Michael’s recipe turned out…
- 1/2 pound 225 grams flour (e.g. wheat, whole wheat, or spelt)
- 3-4 tablespoons durum wheat semolina heaped or alternatively flour
- 1 tsp oil
- 10 oz. / 300 ml / 1.25 cups sparkling water or regular water or alternatively replace half of that with your favorite plant milk e.g. oat, soy, cashew, rice, coconut, etc.
- 1 pinch of salt
- Vegan Mozerella Cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric optional for the color
- 1/4 tsp black salt optional for the egg taste
- Step 1: Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. The dough should tear viscously from the spoon. Optionally, let the dough sit and rise ideally for at least 20 min.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a pot and press the dough through a spaetzle press into the boiling water. Brush off with a knife.
- Alternatively, the spaetzle can be scraped briskly into the water from a board using a scraper or a wider knife.
- As soon as the spaetzle float to the surface of the water, you can immediately skim them off with a slotted spoon (usually within a few minutes).
- Alternatively, you can use ready-made vegan spaetzle or any other favorite pasta for step 1.
- Step 2: Cut an onion or shallot into small pieces. Put some oil on a saucepan and brown the cut onion pieces.
- Alternatively, you can use caramelized onions for this step. Add the boiled spaetzle and mix. Add grated vegan cheese and mix and turn off heat shortly thereafter or when cheese is melted.
- Optional ingredients that can be added before adding the cheese:
- Sauerkraut, Mushrooms, Peas, Green beans, or Soy crumbles
Lunch Has Come To An End
Well, our time together has come to an end. I hope you enjoyed this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE where we learned how to make vegan Käsespätzle, a traditional German dish. We love it when we have international guest Chefs on the show, showing off their vegan cuisine. If you are looking for other delicious plant-based recipes to try, be sure to visit the #LunchBreakLIVE page which has a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.