THROW THE POTATOES ON THE GRILL
Potatoes! Yes… you can throw potatoes on the grill with little to no oil in a wire basket, and BBQ them to perfection! It’s so much fun! #LunchbreakLIVE today features a veggie grilling extravaganza with JaneUnchained Founder, Jane Velez-Mitchell. She is at the grill, whipping up potatoes and grilled kale. You can BBQ super healthy this season! Let’s reinvent old traditions with a fabulous, new twist!
CHANGING THE WORLD WITH HER UNIQUE VEGAN DISHES!
Jane Velez-Mitchell is the Founder of JaneUnChained News Network, a 501 c3 nonprofit organization. JaneUnChained is a digital news network for animal rights and the vegan lifestyle, which has more than 60 volunteer contributors from around the globe who showcase vegan festivals, animal rights conferences, protests, vegan restaurants, and more.
Jane is an incredible journalist with a passion to report on the growing vegan and animal rights news, locally and around the world. But when she is not reporting, she is often experimenting in her kitchen, creating all sorts of unusual and tasty vegan eats.
POTATOES ON THE GRILL + KALE. IMPRESS YOUR FRIENDS!
We all know how to throw a vegan burger on the grill, maybe some tofu or veggie skewers, but have you ever grilled potatoes or kale? It is a thing, thanks to Jane! It’s a healthy way to enjoy the BBQ summer season….throwing your veggies and root veggies on the grill instead of just vegan burgers and hot dogs! It’s easy to keep on eating healthy. Jane took her grilled potatoes to a large 4th of July vegan cookout, and they were a hit!
Potatoes and Kale on the Grill
- 4 potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs minced garlic
- Garlic salt to taste
- Pinch of cumin
- Dash of liquid aminos
- Nutritional yeast, too taste
- Kale stripped
- Slice 4 potatoes thinly, as much like potato chips as possible.
- Place in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Drain and place in bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- Add Nutritional Yeast, to taste
- Add garlic salt (more or less to taste)
- Add a pinch of cumin
- Add a dash of Liquid Aminos
- Place in wire basket
- Place on grill set on high
- Close grill cover to cook evenly for several minute
- Open and check the status of the potato chips grilling
- Stir the potatoes in the wire basket to make sure all the pieces get a chance to grill.
- Remove when the potatoes are brown
- Serve with Ketchup, mustard and/or ranch dressing
- To grill kale
- Strip the kale to remove stems and tear into bite-sized pieces
- Place kale in the wire basket
- Place on the flaming grill
- Spray with oil spray
- Throw on a dash of garlic salt
- Flip or stir to ensure even cooking
- Serve when crispy
THANKS FOR JOINING US FOR THIS FUN BBQ EPISODE
It is always fun to have our very own Jane Velez-Mitchell on #LunchBreakLIVE. She always has super unique meals to share with us. It is summertime which means it is BBQ season, so go ahead and throw those potatoes on the grill, and maybe some kale, and have a healthy and fun grilling season! Take a photo of what you made and be sure to tag @JaneUnchainedNews on Instagram. Leave a comment here and let us know how you liked it. If you are looking for more easy vegan recipes to try, be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.