WHAT IS CHICKPEA CURRY?
Chickpea curry with kale stew! Today’s #LunchBreakLIVE with guest chef Alba Mendez Chang is not a disappointment! This flavorful dish is one of the easiest to make, explodes with flavor, and is all-around popular with the masses who try it. Let’s see how it’s done…
THE VEGAN NURSE, A TRUE HERO!
Alba Mendez Chang has been a nurse for the past ten years with experience in orthopedics, emergency/trauma, travel, cath lab and holds a Masters in Nursing Informatics. She is also the Media Coordinator for SoFlo Vegans and has been vegan for the past fourteen years. She currently lives and works in South Florida with a very spoiled chihuahua named Kona Chen, who loves belly rubs, french fries, and tofu. When not working, Alba enjoys reading, watching Asian dramas, weight lifting, and going to the beach.
IT’S TIME CHICKPEA CURRY!
This chickpea curry is made with kale and is like a stew. Cauliflower rice is also used in this delicious dish. As a vegan, Alba has to bring her own lunch and snacks to work because the hospital is not very vegan-friendly (so sad! It’s a hospital!). She only has 30 minutes for lunch and it has to be a lunch that is both hearty and filling so that it holds her for several hours. Chickpeas have carbs for energy and are very filling so Alba can have the energy to continue working through the day. This is one of her favorite recipes because she loves Indian spices! In this recipe, she substitutes rice with riced cauliflower, as a healthier choice.
Curry Chickpeas with Kale stew and Cauliflower Rice.
- 2 TBSP of Olive oil can always use more if needed
- 3 cups of chickpeas either dry or canned
- 1 Leaf of kale
- 1/2 of a yellow sweet onion
- 1/2 TBSP of minced garlic you can always put more or less based on preference
- 1 1/2 TSP of curry powder this is to taste
- 2 cups of coconut milk unsweetened
- Juice of 1/2 of lemon
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rice or cauliflower rice
- Ginger to taste
- Turmeric to taste some people prefer more of a turmeric taste in this stew and all those anti inflammatory properties!
- In a pot add the oil, onion and garlic until translucent, not burned.
- Add chickpeas.
- Add coconut milk and nutritional yeast, stir.
- Add curry powder, ginger(optional), make sure you stir so it doesn't stick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add lemon juice, stir and taste if the stew needs any more of the above ingredients.
- Cook stew on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, watching to make sure coconut milk doesn't completely evaporate, add more if needed. Add cut kale leaf to pot, stir and serve with your choice of rice or cauliflower rice in my case. You can either wait till kale is soft or if you prefer it to be more raw, it's up to you! Enjoy!
WHAT A TASTY LUNCH!
This was such a flavorful lunch! I hope you give this recipe a try and let us know how you liked it. Take a photo and tag @JaneUnChainedNEWS on Instagram. If you are looking for other easy vegan recipes to cook up, be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page, we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.