A MOUTH-WATERING VEGAN BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE
You won’t believe it’s not chicken! Today, Vegan Chef Sam Turnbull, creator of It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken, creates a veganized version of the popular “butter chicken” dish. This recipe is so special because it’s cruelty-free, super-duper tasty, totally simple to make, and pretty darn healthy, for the most part. So let’s take a closer look at how Sam throws this beautiful bowl of heaven together.
IT DOESN’T TASTE LIKE CHICKEN
Sam Turnbull is the creator of the popular recipe blog It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken, which receives over 2 million page views monthly. She is the author of the best-selling cookbook, “Fuss-Free Vegan” published by Appetite by Random House which is in its tenth print and has over 1,500, 5-star reviews on amazon.com. Sam’s second cookbook, “Fast Easy Cheap Vegan” is also already a bestseller. Published by Appetite by Random House on March 30, 2021, preorders of the cookbook put it into its second print and on multiple “top 5” charts before its release date.
Additionally, Sam hosts a YouTube show also called “It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken”, hosted a weekly live online vegan cooking course called “The Ultimate Vegan Kitchen”, and currently hosts monthly virtual classes called, “Sam Turnbull’s Recipe Club”. Sam also recently launched a vegan meal planner called, “The Easy Vegan Meal Plan” which, in its first month, is already garnering rave reviews amongst its subscribers, bloggers, and critics. Sam and her recipes have been featured across national and international TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, podcasts, public speaking events, prominent websites sites, and in multiple notable cookbooks.
Growing up in a family of foodies, chefs, butchers, and hunters, (yep, it’s true), Sam was determined to prove that vegan cooking didn’t have to be a challenge or expensive, complicated, or limiting. Sam focuses on making her recipes quick and easy to prepare, using ingredients you can find at your local grocery store to make dishes that appeal to all whether you are vegan or not. Sam’s recipes are all about comfort foods and favorites but “vegan-ized”. These are meals that are super-satisfying and totally drool-worthy and delicious. You won’t miss a thing when cooking with Sam Turnbull.
LET’S GET COOKIN’. VEGAN BUTTER CHICKEN!
This is a veganized version of the popular “butter chicken” dish. Sam’s “Vegan Butter Cauliflower” recipe replaces both the butter and the chicken but loses none of the flavors. As well as being a mostly healthy recipe, it also happens to be super-easy to prepare (in true fuss-free vegan style). This vegan dish is creamy, tomato-y goodness, packed full of spices, and just so much deliciousness in a bowl it’s difficult to comprehend. Serve it up with some rice, naan bread, and a little cilantro, and be prepared for “comfort food heaven”.
Vegan Butter Chicken
- For the sauce:
- 2 ¾ cups water
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 156 ml can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
- For the butter cauliflower:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ head cauliflower cut into florets (about 6 cups)
- For serving:
- cooked rice
- naan bread
- 1 handful cilantro roughly chopped
- For the sauce, add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If you do not have a high-powered blender, you may want to soften the cashews first by boiling them in water for 10 minutes, draining, and then adding to the blender with all of the remaining ingredients. This will ensure a smooth sauce.
- For the butter cauliflower, melt the vegan butter in a large pan or pot. When melted add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and just begins to brown. Pour in the prepared sauce, and stir in the cauliflower florets. Cover and bring to a simmer. Stir the cauliflower often so the sauce doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan. Cook until the cauliflower is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Serve over rice with a side of naan and a garnish of cilantro.
THANK YOU FOR JOINING US FOR LUNCH!
Thanks for checking out this incredible vegan butter chicken recipe, which is off the charts delicious! If you decide to give it a try, be sure to take a photo of your final dish and tag @JaneUnChainedNEWS on Instagram. Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page for a ton of other easy vegan recipes to play with. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.