Vegan Orange Chicken. It’s Delicious!
This sticky vegan orange chicken recipe, made with tofu or oyster mushrooms, will blow your mind. Guest Chef Jenny Rivera, the founder of Veganlicious LLC, a savory catering and nourishing meals company, joins us on #LunchBreakLIVE and demonstrates how to make this simple and totally delicious meal. Let’s take a look at how it’s done…
Jenny is a self-proclaimed vegan chef, located in Brooklyn, NY. She caters to small events, does meal preps for clients, as well as family cooking classes. Her love for cooking developed naturally. It’s brought her so much joy and peace, creating meals out of love. She enjoys “veganizing” traditional cultural dishes that she was raised eating. In 2014, Jenny became vegan. The idea of hurting animals really bothered her. She knew eating the way she was currently eating was not ethical nor did it align with her morals. She decided to educate herself by researching and watching documentaries that explained the process of how meat got on her plate. After that, she made a conscious decision to stop eating animals. From that moment on, Jenny wanted to educate, inspire, and share her passion with the world. Currently, she is working on her first E-Cookbook, highlighting how easy a transition to veganism really is. She hopes the book will help inspire and positively impact households across the world.
IT’S EASY TO MAKE VEGAN ORANGE CHICKEN, 100% CRUELTY-FREE
This plant-based orange chicken recipe can be made with tofu or oyster mushrooms. Whichever you chose, after breading the pieces you will coat them in a sweet and sticky, homemade orange sauce. The “chicken” can be served with white rice or quinoa. Why order takeout when you can make your own vegan version of orange chicken? It’s a meal even the kids will love so go ahead and give it a try!
Vegan Sticky Orange Chicken
- Oyster mushrooms or Tofu
- Almond milk 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- 1 cup Flour
- About a 2 teaspoon of the following: salt peppers, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano (dried)
- Oil to fry
- Sticky Orange Sauce:
- Orange Zest
- Juice of a freshly squeezed orange 1-2 oranges
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- Optional: sesame seeds & scallions
- Freeze tofu overnight, defrost then repeat.
- Press tofu and drain any excess water out.
- Break apart tofu into chunks and put in a bowl. Set aside.
- In 2 separate bowls put:
- 1 cup of corn starch
- 1 cup of flour
- About a teaspoon of the following: salt, peppers, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano (dried), Italian seasoning.
- Put 1 cup of almond milk into one of the bowls and mix (This is your wet batter)
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- While oil is heating, prepare the tofu. Dip pieces once into the wet batter and once in to the dry batter, coating each piece evenly.
- Once the oil is ready, cook the tofu until light golden brown.
- Set tofu on a plate lined with paper towel, to drain any excess oil.
- Then set aside.
- Sticky Orange Sauce:
- In a medium bowl whisk the juice from 1 1/2 freshly squeezed oranges, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon of white rice vinegar, 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce, and 3 minced garlic.
- Heat for 3 minutes
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with 1-2 Tablespoons of water to form a paste.
- Add to orange sauce and whisk together. Continue to cook until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thickened, remove from heat
- Toss fried tofu with orange sauce and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Thanks For Joining Us!
This was an awesome episode of #LunchBreakLIVE! I loved orange chicken when I was pre-vegan, so this recipe is super appealing to me and I can’t wait to give it a try. If you decide to cook up this recipe be sure to take a photo and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. Interested in other easy vegan recipes to try? Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.