Aloo Mattar Made Simple
We have a savory Aloo Mattar Masala recipe: Indian Potato & Peas Curry! A perfect winter meal that’s spicy and soupy, served with warm brown or white basmati rice, made by today’s #LunchBreakLIVE guest Priya Narayanan. This is a fun and super flavorful recipe you will love. Let’s see how it’s made…
Spices And Spoons
Priya is the creator and founder of Spices and Spoons, a brand focused on sharing authentic, whole food Indian recipes made vegan. Priya is a technologist by profession but a vegan advocate by passion. She grew up as a vegetarian, in India and turned vegan for ethical reasons, 4 years ago. Her overall brand is focused on sharing beautiful vegan recipes while educating people to live a sustainable and compassionate life. Apart from cooking, she also enjoys spending time with her 11 yr old son ( who is raised vegan), traveling, and photography.
Is It Easy To Make Aloo Mattar?
It is very simple to make Aloo Mattar, a popular and delicious vegan Indian dish. This is a dish that is thoroughly enjoyed during the colder months, with its spicy and stew-like texture, poured over basmati rice for perfection. It is a filling meal that is sure to keep you satisfied for hours. It tastes like it would take forever to make, but nope….it’s a super simple, non-time-consuming recipe.
ALOO MATTAR ( Potatoes and Peas simmered in tangy onion- tomato sauce)
- Potatoes 3 medium sized ( diced into cubes)
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 medium Red Onion finely chopped
- Green Chillies- 3 finely chopped optional , adjust according to spice level
- 2 medium Tomatoes cubed
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Ginger grated - 1 tsp
- Garlic grated - 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red chili powder optional
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Water to adjust consistency
- - To a heated pan, oil 1 tsp of neutral oil.
- - Add cumin seeds, green chilies, ginger and garlic paste . Saute on low - medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- - Add onions . Saute until translucent.
- - Add tomatoes, salt and 1/4 cup of water ( if needed) .. Cook for 5-6 minutes until tomatoes turn mushy and are well combined with onions.
- Add the spices : turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, and red chili powder. Sautee them without burning for 2-3 minutes
- - Add cubed potatoes, 1/4 cup of water ( if needed) . Cover and cook for 10 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
- - Add green peas. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes until peas are cooked through.
- - Gently mash few potatoes with the back of the spatula or a potato masher. This will provide a thicker consistency to the sauce.
- - Cook on open flame until the gravy thickens
- - Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with Pooris or Naan/Roti or warm basmati rice ..
Thanks For Joining Us
Indian food is so delicious, full of flavors and spices. This is a great recipe to try if you love Indian flavors, so go ahead and give it a go and let us know how much you loved it. Take a photo of your finished dish and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. Looking for other easy plant-based recipes to try? Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.