King Oyster Mushrooms turn into pulled “chickn” soft tacos, paired with some jalapeno cauliflower rice for a little kick in your side dish! PlantBasedG, Marlon Rison joins us on #LunchBreakLIVE along with host Paige Parsons Roache, producer and booker for JaneUnchained News, showing us how this magical meal is made.
Marlon Rison, a.k.a. PlantbasedG, once weighing in at 369 pounds eating a meat-centric diet of animal protein, transitioned to a vegan lifestyle during the summer of 2017, after seeing the documentary ” What the Health”. In an effort to improve his health, Marlon quickly grew to appreciate compassion for animals and all life that accompanies the vegan lifestyle. His open-minded personality led him to seek out like-minded people at live events and through social media. His world changed as a result.
Through these interactions, doors began to open for opportunities that include speaking engagements, in-person and live streaming, special focus interviews, and even recognition from VegNews as one of the “Black Vegans” you need to follow on Instagram.
Marlon’s most recent venture is the compilation of his first cookbook—The Quarantine 15 a collection of 15 (plus one bonus) curated vegan recipes to comfort the soul and nourish the body. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the cookbook, and the cool merch like hats and tees, will be available for download on Shopify.
Marlon’s greatest passion is to be a change agent, providing a living breathing example of what can be done if you treat yourself like you love yourself—beginning with what you feed your body.
Okay, so this meal looks amazing! And king oyster mushrooms…OMG! YUM! Oyster mushrooms are great for that “meaty” texture, perfect for tacos or burritos. I can’t wait to try this recipe myself because this is, in my opinion, a perfect meal!
King Pulled Chickn’ Tacos
- 3-4 medium/large size king oyster mushrooms
- ¼ cup of chopped onions
- 2 tbsp of diced garlic
- 3 tbsp of spicy marinade BBQ sauce works perfectly
- 2 tbsp of liquid aminos
- 1 tsp of liquid smoke
- 4 tbsp of veggie broth
- 2 tbsp of garlic salt
- 2 tbsp of pink salt
- 1 tbsp of white pepper
- 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 3 tbsp of avocado oil
- 4-6 Corn or flour tortillas
- additional topiings: lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeños, and whatever trimmings you add to your perfect soft taco!!!
- Heat cast iron skillet (or regular skillet) on medium and pour in avocado oil.
- While skillet is getting ready, shred the king oyster mushrooms. In a vertical pattern, with a fork, penetrate the mushroom slightly and pull downward creating shreds. Do this repeatedly, sometimes altering the angle to make the perfect looking shreds. Take your time and make as thin as possible, which will make for thin, mouth-watering texture. Do this for each of the mushrooms. You should have a nice pile of shreds similar to shredded chicken, but without the harm.
- Place onions and garlic in skillet to establish the flavor. Allow to cook for 3-5 min.
- Add shredded mushrooms to the skillet along with liquid aminos, liquid smoke, veggie broth, garlic salt, pink salt, paprika, white pepper, cayenne pepper & paprika. Cook on medium for 3-5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Cover and adjust cooking temp to medium low and allow to simmer and collect flavors for 12-15 minutes or until shreds are easily broken apart. You can test by attempting to break strands by pressing down with cooking utensil. If it breaks easily, the shroom shreds are ready.
- In a separate skillet, pour a splash of avocado oil and set temp to medium. Once heated, place tortilla on skillet and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes on each side flipping with a fork. Remove and build the perfect soft taco.
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.