MUSHROOM MAGIC TO BBQ MUSHROOM SANDWICH
Discover the secret to making a Mushroom Sandwich known as the Pulled Mushroom Barbecue Sandwich, together with homemade barbecue sauce! Today’s vegan guest Chef is Dianne Wenz, and she will teach us exactly how to make this incredibly tasty sandwich. I promise you it will become one of your new favorite meals. Mushrooms are pure magic in the kitchen!
SHE KNOWS HER WAY AROUND THE KITCHEN
Veggiegirl is Dianne Wenz, a vegan diet and lifestyle specialist. She received her training to practice Holistic Health Counseling at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York City, and she has her Holistic Health Practitioner certification through the American Association of Drugless Practitioners. She is a certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach through Victoria Moran’s Vegan Lifestyle Academy and she has a certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from eCornell University. In addition to nutrition, Dianne also has a passion for vegan cooking and has taken numerous cooking classes at various places, including the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City.
If you’re vegetarian or vegan and would like to optimize your health, or if you’re considering going vegetarian or vegan and don’t know where to start, contact her today! firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to check out her cookbook on Amazon
BACK TO THE MUSHROOM SANDWICH DREAM
Mushrooms are one of those vegetables that people either love or hate. Chef Dianne grew up thinking she hated them. They were weird and slimy—and for some reason, they came from a can. As an adult, she discovered fresh mushrooms and they quickly became one of her favorite veggies. In teaching cooking classes, she has found that self-professed mushroom haters don’t mind them when they’re chopped and smothered with a sauce. Dianne thinks these sandwiches would get the mushroom haters’ seal of approval, but you can make them with thinly sliced seitan instead of mushrooms if you like. The recipe is pretty simple, but you’d never know it when eating this masterpiece. Feed this sandwich to your non-vegan friends and family and watch them go WOW right in front of your eyes.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until it thickens slightly.
- Use the sauce immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Pulled Mushroom Barbecue Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound cremini or white button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce see recipe or store-bought vegan barbecue sauce
- 4 buns of choice
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato sliced
- Pickle slices
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, stirring frequently, until it has begun to soften and brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms brown and soften, about 10 minutes. If there’s any liquid in the pan from the mushrooms, pour it out.
- Add the Barbecue Sauce to the pan and stir to coat the vegetables well. Cook until the sauce is heated throughout, about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide the mixture among the 4 buns. Top each with lettuce, tomato, and pickle slices.
MUSHROOM MAGIC EQUALS MUSHROOM SANDWICH
I absolutely LOVED this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. Learning how to make this vegan BBQ Pulled Mushroom Sandwich, was awesome. This sandwich looks so dang delicious, which it is, so I hope you give it a try. If you do, be sure to take a photo of your end result and tag @JaneUnChainedNews on Instagram. If you are in search of other easy vegan recipes to try be sure to stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl