Looking For A Drop Biscuit Recipe?
Easy and veganized cream drop biscuit recipe revealed on #LunchBreakLIVE! Fast to make, fast to bake! Eat these delicious treats with vegan butter, jam, or fill with plant-based cream, chocolate, or berries. This recipe is from our guest Fran Costigan, a Vegan Pastry Chef, and it comes from her Rouxbe Essential Vegan Desserts Course!
DELICIOUS VEGAN DESSERTS MADE EASY
Fran Costigan, chef, cookbook author, and Director of Vegan Baking and Pastry at the Rouxbe Online Culinary School, is internationally renowned as the authority on vegan desserts. Professionally trained, Fran was a chef in both traditional and vegan pastry kitchens before moving into teaching 25 years ago, at the time she embraced the vegan lifestyle. Her unapologetically luscious confections lack nothing — except dairy, eggs, white sugar, and cholesterol. Fran’s vegan desserts are appropriate for everyone who loves dessert, whether or not dietary restrictions are an issue. The 90-day Essential Vegan Desserts Course that Fran developed and leads at Rouxbe, the world’s leading online cooking school, is based on her wildly popular Vegan Baking Boot Camp Intensive®. She is thrilled to welcome students of all skill levels, beginners to professionals, from around the globe to this unique in the world course.
Fran’s cookbook, Vegan Chocolate Dessert: Unapologetically Luscious and Decadent Dairy-Free Desserts, is available in German, French and Italian editions, and follows the classic, More Great Good Dairy Free Desserts.
You can find Fran sharing her knowledge and passion across North America and Europe, at schools, conferences, festivals, and corporations at resorts and on cruise ships too, and in 2020 2021, online.
A professional member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, Women Chefs and Restaurateurs, Les Dames d’ Escoffier, American Culinary Federation, Fran is proud to be an advisory board member of the New York Coalition for Healthy School Foods, Vegan Trade Council, and Main Street Vegan Academy. Fran wants everyone to know that she eats big plates of beans and greens and grains before she enjoys her daily small sweet treat!
For more information and recipes, newsletter sign up, visit www.francostigan.com.
Fran Costigan Vegan Pastry Chef on Facebook
An Easy Drop Biscuit Recipe. A.K.A. Cream Biscuit
Drop biscuits, aka cream biscuits are a no-oil added and tastier alternative to baking powder biscuits. They are faster to make, with no need to use cutters. Fran added nut flour for both the nutrition and to add texture and flavor. Spread with vegan butter, jam, or spread with cream and berries to make shortcakes. The possibilities are endless, and the taste is incredible. These little treats will make you feel like royalty!
Vegan Drop Biscuits with Nut Flour
- 1 1/3 cups full-fat canned coconut milk (do not use light) stirred until thoroughly mixed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tsp finely grated orange zest or use scant 1/8 teaspoon orange oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- sugar for sprinkling: cane or coconut sugar do not grind
- Position a rack in center of oven and preheat to 450F. Line a heavy baking sheet with a double layer of parchment paper.
- Pour the coconut milk into a measuring cup and add the vanilla, almond extract if using and zest. Set aside while you sift the dry ingredients.
- Put a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Measure the all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour baking powder, and salt into the strainer. Whisk to sift the ingredients into the bowl. Stir in the nut flour.
- Make well in center of the dry ingredients and pour in coconut milk mixture. Mix the dough by bringing the dry ingredients into the liquid, rotating the bowl as you go. Do not press or over mix the dough. It comes together quickly into a crackly soft dough.
- Scoop scant 1/4 cup of batter per biscuit onto baking sheet leaving 2 inches in between. Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoopmakes dropping even amounts of batter easy. Sprinkle generously with your choice of sugar.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes until set and lightly browned in a few spots. Flip one over; the bottom should be brown.
- Cool on wire rack for a couple of minutes before serving warmwith vegan butter, jam, cream, and/ or fruit. Options: Use hazelnut flour. Shortcakes: Cut cooled biscuits in half with a serrated knife.
• The canned coconut milk is heavy cream substitute.
• Use heavy baking sheets, which will not warp in the oven. If you are not sure, stack 2 sheets.
• Line baking sheet with 2 pieces of parchment to guard again burning bottoms at high temperature
Tasty Drop Biscuit Recipe You Must Try
This drop biscuit recipe is so delicious, and so simple, and will transport you to heaven with every bite. A perfect recipe for afternoon tea time, or just if you are in the mood for a sweet treat. Go ahead and give it a try and let us know how you liked it. Take a photo of your finished biscuits and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. Looking for other easy plant-based recipes to try? Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.