Have You Ever Made Mushroom Tacos?
Oyster mushroom tacos with creamy chipotle sauce on this episode of #LunchBreakLIVE! Tantalizingly tasty taco recipe brought to you by vegan chef and creator Shawna Barker. Shawna shares with us her favorite tips on bringing more nutrient-dense flavor to your dishes, while she shows us how to put together these delicious tacos. Let’s take a closer look…
Educating The Masses In Plant-Based Nutrition
Shawna Barker BSc., R.H.N. is a nutritionist, vegan chef, college instructor, and expert in plant-based nutrition. She graduated with honors from the University of British Columbia with a Bachelors of Science degree in Food, Nutrition, and Health. In addition, she earned a Diploma in Holistic Nutrition from the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition in Vancouver in 2009.
Shawna began her journey towards health and nutrition over 25 years ago when she decided to change her diet at a very young age to become vegetarian and, after high school, to vegan. At this point, she became determined to learn everything she could about nutrition, food science, natural health, and how to thrive on a vegan diet.
As the founder of Synergy Nutrition, she is able to motivate her clients and students by presenting information about the benefits of plant-based nutrition in an easy-to-understand, non-judgemental way. Drawing from her background in both science and holistic nutrition she is able to support her clients’ health with a comprehensive program that includes individualized diet, supplement, and lifestyle recommendations.
Mushroom Tacos Full of Nutrition and Flavor
Oyster mushrooms are a super nutritious food and are versatile, perfect for plant-based cooking. The texture is great for replacing meat in tacos or burritos. In fact, I love a good burrito made with oyster mushrooms smothered in the right sauce. And using them in tacos is even better because every day is taco day in my opinion. Shawna cooked the mushrooms to perfection, creating the perfect texture in every bite. packed with all the other ingredients she included, the result is the absolute perfect taco.
Oyster Mushroom Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 5-6 corn tortillas
- 4 cups oyster mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 large plantain sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 3/4 cup cilantro chopped, loosely packed
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- Creamy Tofu Chipotle Sauce:
- 12 oz soft tofu
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle peppers canned
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Prepare salsa by dicing the tomatoes, onions, and cilantro and placing in a bowl. Gently toss and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by blending the tofu, tamari, chipotle peppers, lime juice, olive oil, and sea salt. Start with 1 tbsp of chipotle, blend and taste, and then add the additional tbsp if you prefer it to be spicier. This will make extra sauce to use as a dip for veggies, 'chipotle mayo' for sandwiches, or more tacos. It can be stored in the fridge for up to three days.
- Lightly wash the mushrooms and roughly chop. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms. Stir occasionally until the mushrooms are soft and starting to brown.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat in a second frying pan. Place the slices of plantain and fry until slightly browned. Flip over and fry the other side. Turn off heat once both sides are cooked.
- Transfer plantains to a bowl and ser aside.
- Warm the tortillas in a frying pan on low heat. A few seconds on each side is enough to soften and warm them.
- Assemble the tacos by placing the oyster mushrooms, plantain, sliced avocado, creamy chipotle sauce, and salsa on the tortilla.
- Serve with a slice of lime and enjoy!
- Please let me know if you need anything else.
Mushroom Tacos, Or Any Tacos For Me!
Tacos are my favorite so I love this recipe and can’t wait to try it. Give it a try too and let us know how much you loved it. Take a photo of your finished dish and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. If you are looking for other easy vegan recipes to try, hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.