Loaded Tofu Scramble Fiesta
Loaded Mexican style tofu scramble recipe on today’s #LunchBreakLIVE! Born vegan, our guest chef Sarina Farb shows us how to whip this simple yet totally flavorful and healthy scramble together. Eat is as is, or throw it in a wrap and eat it like a burrito (that would be my choice). Either way, your tastebuds will be thoroughly satisfied.
Born Vegan And Educating The Masses
Sarina Farb is a midwest-based vegan educator, public speaker, and liberation activist working to make the world a better place for all beings. Being born and raised vegan in Kansas taught Sarina to think for herself and stand for justice even when it’s unpopular. Today Sarina focuses on combining heart and science to empower individuals to think critically, see past corporate propaganda, and live ethically. Her projects include writing, creating videos on her YouTube channel and Instagram Born Vegan, and hosting the Science is Gray Podcast. She also currently serves on the Plant-Based Network Advisory Committee, is a member of the American Vegan Society Speakers Bureau, and co-founded and organized the 2020 Climate Diet Summit.
Sarina previously spent several years teaching high school chemistry and environmental science in Kansas City and holds degrees in biochemistry and policy studies from Grinnell College. She is passionate about bringing nuance, and ethics into conversations about science in society. Her work and writings have been featured in numerous publications and books.
How To Make The Best Tofu Scramble
All you need is some tofu, beans, fresh veggies, and a few of the perfect spices to make this incredibly flavorful meal. Eat it for breakfast lunch, or dinner! This is a meal the whole family is certain to enjoy, including the kiddos, it’s that good. Eat it on its own, wrap it in a tortilla, or put the scramble between two pieces of toast for a breakfast sandwich. The options are many, and all or good choices!
Mexican Tofu Scramble
- 1 block extra firm tofu (1 pound)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- Dash of liquid smoke optional
- Dash of smoked paprika
- Dash of garlic powder
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained/rinsed
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add the chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes and then add the red pepper and continue to cook until the pepper is tender, usually about another 1-2 minutes
- Drain and crumble the tofu into the pan with the onions and peppers
- Cook the tofu and veggie mixture for 4-5 minutes until the tofu is hot all the way through and starts to stick to the pan
- Add the rest of the spices and ingredients and mix well
- Fry for a few more minutes until the tofu is browning/crumbly/cooked through while stirring frequently to keep mixture from sticking to pan
- Drain and rinse the black beans, stir them into the pan and cook the mixture for another minute until black beans are well mixed and hot
- Sprinkle in your favorite vegan cheeze shreds and mix
- Serve on a sandwich, in a burrito, or in a bowl topped with avocado, fresh tomatoes, salsa and tortilla chips
Add other veggies of your choice like chopped mushrooms and zucchini or a pre-cooked vegan sausage to the pan along with the chopped red pepper. You can also add an overflowing cup of chopped spinach at the end along with the black beans for some more color and greens in the meal.
Lets Start Scrambling
Time to get your scramble on! Get out your apron and give this delicious tofu scramble recipe a try. Take a photo of your finished dish and tag UnChained_TV on Instagram. Interested in other easy vegan recipes to try? Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.