MORE VEGAN EGGS WITH A PLANT-BASED QUICHE
6-Step Quiche made with vegan eggs from tofu! Guest Chef Kimberly Guerin, animal advocate, and certified plant-based nutrition coach, cooks up this delicious favorite, totally veganized! Who says you can’t enjoy traditional “egg” dishes if you are vegan. LIES! Let’s see how it is done…
Kimberly Guerin works for National Geographic. She is an animal advocate and activist, world traveler, and passionate vegan. Certified in Plant-based nutrition; Kim enjoys helping people transition to a healthier and more compassionate lifestyle. We love having her on #LunchBreakLIVE because she always cooks up delicious, healthy, and flavorful dishes for us to try.
MAKE QUICHE WITH DIFFERENT VEGAN EGG OPTIONS
There are so many different ways to make plant based Quiche these days. You can make it with Just Egg, a popular vegan egg replacement, or even tofu, which is what Kimberly used as her egg base. This dish will impress everyone! Try it for breakfast, lunch, or brunch, and be sure to bring this tasty dish to your next potluck! You can make it in advance! Fully bake the quiche and refrigerate after it has cooled (keep it covered). Then you can reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes. It’s a good idea to press the tofu for at least 20 minutes. You can press it while you’re prepping and sautéing the vegetables to save time. To drain and press the tofu – wrap a block of tofu in a few paper towels and place it on a rimmed plate. Add a cast-iron skillet on top (or something equally heavy) and let it drain for 20-30 minutes.
Easy, Delicious Vegan Quiche! Packed With Flavor and Goodness.
- 1 9 inch vegan frozen pie shell GF if preferred, see package for thawing instructions
- 1 14 0z block extra-firm tofu drained and pressed
- 1 TBL olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushroom sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp kala namak black salt (*optional - gives eggy flavor)
- 2 TBL gluten-free flour or all purpose
- 1-2 TBL non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30-60 seconds until lightly golden and fragrant.
- Now add mushrooms and sauté until softened and browned. About 5-7 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1-3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt & pepper if desired. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Break up the tofu and add it to a food processor along with the seasonings, 1 tablespoon of plant-based milk, and flour. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. It will be very thick, but if it's too thick and won't smooth out, you can add 1 more tablespoon of non-dairy milk. Just enough to get it moving.
- Using a spatula, scrape the mixture out of the container into a medium mixing bowl. Fold in the mushrooms/spinach mixture and combine well.
- Place the mixture in the pie crust and spread evenly. Add the cut tomatoes on top and gently press down so they are slightly in the mixture. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the quiche firms up and is golden on top. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
THANKS FOR JOINING US ON ANOTHER VEGAN EGG SPECIAL
Vegan eggs are a thing, and it is possible to enjoy most, if not all, of the traditional egg dishes, veganized. This is yet another Quiche recipe that is delicious and simple to make so give it a try. If you make it be sure to take a photo and tag @JaneUnChainedNews on Instagram. If you are looking for other plant-based recipes to try, stop by the #LunchBreakLIVE page where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
JaneUnChained graphic designer, behind-the-scenes problem solver, and IG contributor. Donna is a creative in the film industry, a passionate vegan, and promoter of a plant-based lifestyle. Known on social media as ThatSnarkyVeganGirl. Follow her on IG @ThatSnarkyVeganGirl