Veganized Loco Moco!
Veganized Loco Moco, is an iconic Hawaiian dish you are sure to love. Find out how this “Hawaiian version of a burger” has become such a famous dish on the islands with featured guest Tonia L Carrier Hicks, AKA Your Vegan Friend Tonia, who recently moved to Hawaii. While learning about the Hawaiian culture, Tonia brings this dish to us, sharing how to easily veganize it. Let’s take a look at how it’s done…
A Veganizing Master
We love it when Tonia joins us in the kitchen. Her recipes are always so unique and flavorful, and she can veganize anything! Tonia is not only talented at veganizing any recipe, but she is also a hairstylist and indie filmmaker from Michigan who has been doing vegan activism since 2018. She is a powerful contributor representing the Midwest on the JaneUnchained News Network. And we love having her! Tonia has a YouTube channel called Your Vegan Friend Tonia that you should definitely check out. It is fresh and fun and filled with lots of delicious recipes, and other great videos about veganism and the vegan lifestyle. From recipes to interviews, and visits to animal sanctuaries, you can find it all on Tonia’s YouTube channel.
What Is Loco Moco?
Loco Moco is a popular Hawaiian dish. There are many variations, but the traditional loco moco is made with white rice, topped with a hamburger, a fried egg, and brown gravy. But today, Tonia made this dish 100% plant-based, without any lack of flavor! She used Impossible brand beef for the burger part and Just Egg for the egg part. No one would ever know the difference! It is a really simple recipe, and you can make it your own by adding any veggies you might want.
Vegan Loco Moco
- 1 Package of Impossible Meat
- 1 Bottle of Just Egg
- 1 Batch of white rice
- 1 Jar of Vegan vegetable broth -I use Better Than Boullion
- 1/4 cup white flour or other gravy thickener
- Garlic Powder to taste
- Onion Powder to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Water for gravy-I used 2/3C to start and then added another 1/2C to the flour.
- Make rice per package instructions. (I used a rice cooker). Flatten Impossible patty in a non-stick or sprayed pan. You can keep it as a thicker patty but a lot of Hawaiian restaurants make the patties thinner to lay over the bed of rice. Bring water to a boil. Add the Better Than Boullion broth. Bring to a boil. In a separate bowl add small amounts of water to the flour. Whisk until creamy. Pour lump free flour into the boiling broth mixture. Continue to whisk and pour until the gravy is the consistency and thickness you want Top rice and Impossible patty with gravy. Cook the serving of Just Egg into a flat patty and place it on top! Enjoy! Mahalo for reading!
Thanks For Joining Us For This Special Hawaiian Lunch!
This was such a fun episode of #LunchBreakLIVE. Tonia is the best at veganizing any recipe and I love how she dove right into the Hawaiian culture and started turning traditional dishes into plant-based masterpieces. Give the recipe a try and let us know how much you loved it. Take a photo of your finished dish and tag @UnChained_TV on Instagram. Looking for other easy plant-based recipes to cook up? Hop on over to the #LunchBreakLIVE page, where we have a ton to choose from. Until next time…keep cookin’!
What's Your Reaction?
Donna Dennison is an UnchainedTV writer, graphic designer, video editor, and IG contributor. Donna is also a creative in the film industry.